The Union Minister of Commerce, Industry and Textiles, Shri Anand Sharma announced the ninth National Investment and Manufacturing zone(NIMZ), a third for Maharashtra in Nagpur on 21JUL12. According to the press release, the proposed NIMZ area is situated in Kuhi and Umred Taluka of Nagpur district and has an area of 6280 hectares. It will attract investment of approx. Rs. 25,000 crores and will provide gainful direct and indirect employment to 2,60,000 people of the Nagpur district.
The first 7 Investment Regions under NIMZs were:
• Ahmedabad-Dholera Investment Region, Gujarat (900 sq km)
• Shendra-Bidkin Industrial Park city near Aurangabad, Maharashtra (84 sq km)
• Manesar-Bawal Investment Region, Haryana (380 sq km)
• Khushkhera-Bhiwadi-Neemrana Investment Region, Rajasthan (150 sq km)
• Pithampur-Dhar-Mhow Investment Region, Madhya Pradesh (370 sq km)
• Dadri-Noida-Ghaziabad Investment Region, Uttar Pradesh (250 sq km) and
• Dighi Port Industrial Area, Maharashtra (230 sq km).
Later, Jodhpur-Pali Region was added to the list
Shri Sharma also announced state of the art convention centre at Nagpur on a land provided by the State government. Such convention centres have been established in Chennai and Bangaluru in partnership with the respective States. Cost of construction would be met from the ASIDE scheme of the central government.